Thursday, November 24, 2005

To Posterity

This was lifted from Powerline via The Remedy - everyone should read and give due consideration to these words. They continue to echo in the recesses of my mind.... :


At The Remedy, Matthew Peterson recalls the April 1777 letter from "a depressed John Adams" to his wife Abigail in which Adams concludes:

Is it not intollerable, that the opening Spring, which I should enjoy with my Wife and Children upon my little Farm, should pass away, and laugh at me, for labouring, Day after Day, and Month after Month, in a Conclave, Where neither Taste, nor Fancy, nor Reason, nor Passion, nor Appetite can be gratified?

Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and may God bless.